This and That

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Fiddle Wood Shrub and An Unexpected Pleasure







I had a friend that owned a nursery. Her name was Ruth. She became very dear to me and over time her goal seemed to be to help me find the most unusual plants for my landscape and hers. I cared for my Mother with Dementia and it turned out they were the same age. So, we developed a routine. Once a week, I would get my Mother ready and we would pick up Ruth and set out for a day of adventure finding the "out of the way" nurseries. She's since crossed over to the great beyond as has my Mother. May they both be resting in peace; but I have a feeling they're keeping tabs on the nature in my yard.  One of the unusual finds was the Fiddlewood Tree.  

The Fiddlewood can be left to grow to heights of approx. 40' or can be kept to a shrub size. All parts of this plant are poisonous so if children are around, make sure they don't eat any of it. Once established they require very little watering and care.  I do fertilize it once a month during blooming season.  Typically they bloom in summer but with our warm temps. mine is blooming in January.  I prefer to keep it as a shrub size for now.  I find that each time it's pruned, it produces more flowers.  The flowers grow in clusters and the best way to describe their smell is that it's almost like a honeysuckle only a bit stronger.  It's a pleasure to have in any landscape and would make a beautiful hedge.  I'm working on getting a cutting to root via "layering". There are several options for layering but I prefer to put a small wound on a stem.  Wet some Sphagnum moss and wrap it around the wound. Put some plastic wrap around it and tie it off. I use a zip tie at the top and the bottom. Typically within 6 weeks there will be roots formed and it can be cut off and planted. I look forward to obtaining a new plant.  

The Oleander Moth has taken up residence on my Fiddle Wood.  They look like they may sting but they don't and are harmless to humans.  A bird might have some problems.  They prefer plants that are poisonous, typically the Oleander, thus their name.  The real name for them is Syntomeida Epilais. They are also called the Polka Dot Wasp Moth.  Whatever name they're called, they are one of the most beautiful wasp\moths I've ever seen.  The wings are a midnight blue and actually sparkle when the sun hits them, like glitter. The tips are a brilliant red and the they have white dots on their wings and body.   I have some close up pictures above.  It was an unexpected pleasure to see it on my morning walk around the yard. I have a close up attached here.  I hope you've enjoyed my post for today.  I've no clue what "dirt" I'll be in tomorrow but please be sure to check back.


6 comments:

  1. I was here. Neat! Kinda like keeping a diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen...kind of... except I'll not put anything that I would put in a diary...lol... :-)

      Delete
  2. I was here. Neat! Kinda like keeping a diary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Savvy :-) I really enjoy the sharing :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete