This and That

Monday, January 25, 2016

Another Unique Fairy Garden Fountain Build Tutorial through Pictures


I was asked to build a fountain for a friend to put in her consignment shop.  She didn't care what it looked like. She just wanted water flowing.  I had an old aviary that was used for finches.  So, I took it apart and reused the wood and screen.



I had an old piece from a fountain that at one time was used in a corner of the yard.  Through landscaping and planting, the fountain was disassembled and other parts used elsewhere.  This piece was left over.


I built the wood into a frame for the water fall and mounted the old fountain piece onto it.  I used a drawer from a plastic filing cabinet to hold the pump and water.  I then fed the tube from the drawer up to the top of the "water fall".  The water will circulate from the bottom to the top and down the falls.


I then put the screening around the entire fountain and started foaming.  This process took about a week as the foam has to be done in layers so that it will cure before additional layers can be applied.



The inspiration for the design came from this dragon I had in an older fairy garden.  He would be the main piece at the top of the fountain - where he has all the jewels of the kindom...Lol.
 And the foaming is completed and ready to paint.




As with all my fountain and fairy gardens, there is a bridge to cross the river.

 The painting is completed and the fountain is ready for the "kingdom" to be put into place.

 The aforementioned dragon nestled on his jewels.
 I added silk and plastic flowers and moss.  There are gnomes going up a ladder to get the jewels from the dragon.

 Fairies and doors and sitting areas and another bridge.

 And the end of the river flows into the "water holding area".
 And more decorations along the side to give it a rounded out view point..
 The finished product.

3 years later, it has held up well and this is it's permanent home under the house.  It's a magical piece for our grandchildren and us.   I hope you "take the plunge" and give it a try.  Spray foam in a can. Who knew!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe what this turned out to be in the end. So awesome!
    Okay now being a newbie I don't know what this foam is that you are using. Where do you get it and is there a particular kind that is better than another for doing these projects? Do you have a personal preference? Is there one that sets up better than another? Just a few questions I have. I would love to make one of these for the front of my house. I have a plain old fountain right now but this would certainly look beautiful.

    I guess I'm someone that needs everything from the beginning.

    I believe in the magic, and would love to have one of these. You just make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Great Stuff. You'll need the type for large gaps. It can be bought at any hardware or home improvement store. It's typically used for sealing gaps around windows, door, pipes etc. This build took 30 cans but the fountain is 6' tall. The build I did on the ground used only 4. Since you all ready have a fountain it wouldn't take very many cans to build around it. And, you'll need spray paint. Green and brown are a must in my builds. The fairy things can be obtained at hobby lobby or a place online called Miniature Gardening. I'm glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  2. Do you every find the fairy items at yard sales or our infamous flea market #FleaMasters?

    ReplyDelete