This and That

Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Foggy Morning and Orchids

There was a time when I looked at fog as a bad thing, until I discovered orchids and they're love of the moisture.  I have several different orchids, none more favorite then the other.  Most of my knowledge, other then working with them and growing, touching and nurturing them, was learned from the American Orchid Society.  You can visit them here:  www.aos.org  .  The information you'll find there will help your learn all there is to know and more.   Basically, if an orchid has air, moisture and a good growing medium, it will grow and bring many years of enjoyment.  Here are a few of mine that are blooming in January.







You'll notice some orchids have long root layers.  These are what I call mounting orchids.  They prefer to be mounted to a log, large piece of bark or anything natural wood piece.  I spray them with a liquid fertilizer once a month during blooming season.   These are a "few" of the ones I have.  Others will bloom later this spring and still others will bring their beautiful flowers to my attention in summer.  The orchid is a true gift from God.  One of the most majestic flowers in my yard.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers. I love orchids, and had no idea that you could grow them on a piece of wood. Thanks so much for sharing this info. Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I'm glad that you enjoyed them! If an orchid has the long trailing roots, it should be mounted. If you tried to put it in a pot, the roots will quickly find a way out of the pot as they want air. If packed tightly in dirt, the orchid will die.

      Delete