This and That

Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Walk in The Park

I believe that sometimes it's good to just get out and walk.  Yesterday I went to and walked the natural trails at our local park.   While there wasn't anything in bloom, the natural woodlands are beautiful all on their own.  So without further adieu......  I'll share some wonderful beauty of winter in Florida.

Boston Ferns.  There is a plaque in the mix somewhere.  They were brought here and now grow wild in the woods.  A gardeners dream is if a shovel was allowed.

 This shows the moss and wild pine or it's also called wild Bromeliads. They grow in the trees all over this area.  I have several that have taken up residence in my yard. The blooms are wonderful. I'll share when mine come into bloom.
                    There are many benches throughout the area for folks to stop and take a rest.
                                Here is the write up on the wild pines that I mentioned above.
                                                           Here is a close up of some.
                                                     And more high in the trees.
 I loved the rustic look around here.  It was so peaceful and the only sound was birds and the river.
                                         These little flowers were growing wild everywhere.
 This looked like husk were around the tree and have decayed over time. The tree, however, looked fine.

                                          The next 2 pictures were by the plaque above.

                                                          More awesomeness.....
                                        I loved this tree.... such an "in the wild" look to it.
 I wasn't too thrilled when this sign reminded me I was in the woods and what can happen. LOL
                                                         I'm not sure if this leaf was it
                                                                 or perhaps this one

                                     
 While this berry looks like that last ones we saw - it's actually different.  The peppers are harvested by some and dried to use for seasoning in preparing meals

                                                   The sign above is this Palmetto

 The cabbage palm is harvested and used to make "Swamp Cabbage". There is a festival here the end of each February honoring this food and the traditions.

 I found this interesting. I have a Meyer Lemon that we love. I didn't know this existed in the wild.

 This cherry is not in the best of shape but it is January.  I'm sure it comes out much fuller come spring.
 More of the wild pines - bromelaids.  I have been known to pull over when I go riding and climb into trees to harvest these for my yard.  I love them and they're free - given by nature.

                                              Another of the pretty little purple flowers.
 I went down to the river.  Loved it... until I remembered gators lie along the banks and under the tree limbs that hang in the river.....

                       Last pic before I decided I shouldn't be here by myself.  Yes, I scared myself...lol

 Sour Orange.  I thought this was interesting.  It's mixed with "sweet orange" to make it edible.
                                           The next few were just out of enjoying the beauty.

                                                                  Wild Boston Fern




  Custard Apple.  I thought it was interesting. I had never heard of it before. I'm sure it's much prettier in the spring.

 There is something special about flowers growing in the wild - no help from humans needed and they are wonderful!
                                 Which path to take.  I took the one less traveled.  I'm glad I did.
                              The path everyone takes. You can tell by how well it's beaten down.
                                                                I chose this one
 And was rewarded by seeing this wonderful Live Oak.  It's perfect for a tree house.  Just dreaming but oh how lovely.
                                                            Her Majesty

 There were cactus growing on top of this branch. Sorry for the darkness. I'm getting used to a new camera and need to do more reading of the instructions.

                                              The moss growing here was awesome.



 A tortoise lives in this hole.  Kind of spooky.  They're protected and that's a good thing.





More Wild Boston Fern and the write up above.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful walk. I wish I had been there! Did you know that saw palmetto berries are good for worming dogs. I didn't know this myself until my husband explained it. When he raised hogs they would also eat the saw palmetto berries as a natural dewormer. Animals are smart that way, they know what they need and eat it.

    Thanks for the nature walk absolutely beautiful. I'll be sure to share this on Google Plus so everyone can enjoy the nature of January in Southwest Florida.

    Next time don't get so close to the alligator's resting place. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it and no, I was not aware of this. I have a palmetto on a lot next to mine. The dried sawdust makes great mulch for potted plants and I harvest it around the end of January or if I hear of a freeze coming. Thank you!! and yes, next time I'll be a bit more careful - and not alone...lol

    ReplyDelete