This and That

Friday, January 15, 2016

The Beautiful Winter Starburst

On of my favorite shrubs in the yard is the Winter Starburst aka Fireworks Flower or the proper name Clerodendrum Quadriloculare.   Yes, I prefer the first 2 names as well. LOL.  This wonderful shrub is fast growing and can be left to grow to heights of 20 feet or kept as a shrub.   It's a native of New Guinea and the Philippines and since arriving to Florida it has become a favorite in many landscapes. It's also makes a great high hedge plant.  The one in my yard is just starting to grow it's buds. I'm taking daily pictures to show the full progression of bud to bloom and will share that when it's complete.  It can thrive in full sun or partial shade and does best outdoors, year round, in zone 10.  They also can be grown as container plants and brought inside or wintered in a green house.  Late winter to early spring is the bloom time making it a wonderful pop in the yard during our winters.   I fertilize 3 times a year, spring, summer and autumn and use bone meal throughout the year at various times.   When pruned the shrub becomes quite full.  They can be invasive if not properly looked after. They shoot out suckers from the parent plant which if you only want one as a showstopper, they should be pulled up as soon as they are seen. Cuttings are easily obtained on new, non woody growth,or pull a small sucker out and replant it. This is truly one of my favorite plants in my yard.  A few pictures, following, show the large flowing flowers of purple and white and the height of 2 that were left to grow as trees. During the non bloom season this shrub has it's own beauty with deep purple on the underside of the leaf and deep green on top.  I hope you enjoy their beauty.

                                           The stunning blooms of the Winter Starburst


An eclectic mix of trees with the Winter Starburst thrown in

               This was a stand alone to show it's beauty and when I saw it I stopped for a picture.

I hope you enjoyed my share for today.  I'll not be posting on the weekend but please be sure to check back to see what dirt I've gotten into come Monday.  Enjoy the magic!! It's everywhere!!


No comments:

Post a Comment