This and That

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Beautiful Blue Butterfly Shrub




One of the most magical shrubs I have is the Blue Butterfly Shrub. Also known as an Oxford Bush or a Cambridge Bush.  It's in the family Verbanceae and a Chlerodendrum.   The flowers on this shrub look exactly like a blue butterfly - thus the name. The Blue Butterfly is an Evergreen that will grow to heights of 10 feet.  It's recommend to prune it when it appears leggy at the top. This will help it bush out and produce an even more beautiful shrub.

At the ends of the branches are panicles about 4"-10" (stems with buds) that will produce individual flowers about 1".  There are 3 pale blue and 1 violet blue lobes that produce the "wings and body" with antennas that look just like those of a butterfly.


 They are easily propagated from cuttings.  Cut the stem just below a leaf nodule and trim the top just above one.  6" is a good size.  I simply dip them in rooting hormone and put them in peat.  At this point I don't use dirt.  Peat is good and sterile. While it does dry out quicker then if there were dirt, I have more success in rooting my Butterflies with this method.   Put a plastic bag over it to help retain humidity and make sure it doesn't dry out.  Within a month you should see new growth.  Once I see new growth, I wait about another 2 weeks and then transplant it into a larger container, with a good potting soil, and maintain it as normal.  They do like a good bit of water during growing season.  Don't let them dry out but not soggy either.  They will bloom, almost constantly, from Summer until Fall.


They like partial shade to semi full sun.  I have one in full sun that requires more watering then the one I have in partial shade. Both bloom very well for me.  They are outdoor hardy in zones 9-10 but will tolerate a ground freeze, zones 8-9, and shoot up new growth in the spring.  The roots can not stand freeze as it will kill the plant.  They make great container plants in cold climates. Plant in a large container and bring inside at the first hint of a freeze.  Place in a sunny window and they will stay green for you over the winter.  

If you get a chance to come across the Blue Butterfly, I recommend them highly for your yard.  Make a little fairy garden at the bottom and add a bit more magic :-)   That's the dirt I've been in today - taking cuttings and moving them to my greenhouse with great anticipation of new plants.  

Enjoy the magic!! It's everywhere if you look for it :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment