This and That

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A New Era of Chickens at the Lazy A






Years ago we used to have a brood of 15 chickens.  We had many different kinds. Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock, Orpington, Silver Laced Wyndotte, Top Hats and many others.  Through time a fox found our yard and our hens.   We waited until a time when I would be home full time to start over.  The old hen house was torn down and the time has come to, once again, raise these adorable, funny creatures.  Today my blog isn't about all that entails raising them but just to share the new journey.  The picture at top is of the hens we used to have.  The laughter and magic they brought was amazing not to mention collecting fresh eggs almost every day. At one point, we had so much egg production that our neighbors would say they had plenty..lol.  Needless to say, our pups got a steady supply.

Today I brought home the first of 6 that we will raise.  Meet the new members of the Lazy A family. These are all Rhode Island Reds and will lay large brown eggs. That should start happening around 6 mos. of age so until then, it's all about the fun and magic and teaching them that they are special and loved and to learn their names and come when called. :-)  Yes, I know, too much fun ahead.


Clotilde


Matilda


and last but not least is Henrietta

They are 1 day old so I've made a note on my calender to be sure to know when to celebrate their birthdays in the years to come.  For the next month or so they'll live on the porch in their little warm cage.  To raise them to be strong healthy egg laying hens will involve daily cleaning of the cage and multiple times of taking them out to handle and play.  I also need to teach our pups that these are additions to the family and out of bounds for them to play with.  That will be my biggest challenge. 

For now, they are just finding their food and water and enjoying the newness of their temporary home.

 I think the most important thing for them, other then plenty of attention, food, water and a clean cage is warmth.  I have a red heat lamp hanging just above the cage that will keep them nice and warm.  It's positioned so that one end of the cage will stay very warm and it they get too hot they can move to another area of the cage that will be cooler.  Our Parrot, Dixie Lee, has a new fascination as well. You can see her peaking down to figure out what I have added to her "living area". LOL.


For now, I have 3 and in April I will order some Ameraucana's.  3 to be exact.  These are also called Easter Chickens as they lay green and blue eggs.  Tomorrow the new hen house\coop will arrive and I'll share the construction of it and the little chicks will have a protected play area for warm days until they can move in permanently. All so exciting and another touch of magic in our world.

I hope you enjoy and remember, magic is everywhere, if you look :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment