This and That

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

How to Make A PVC Strawberry Planter Fairy Garden




This design is not my idea.  I saw a picture on FaceBook and decided I would give it a try.  I didn't see a list of items needed or instructions, just the picture. Also, it was written in Portuguese.  I believe they used PVC pipe, PVC T's and PVC 90's.  Upon my arrival at Home Depot with the list I made, I was very surprised to see how much these items cost, in the larger sizes. So, I stuck to my budget of $40 and made some decisions of changes to what I would buy and kept my cost down.  I purchased a 4" x 24" of PVC. It was all ready cut so the size of length was determined for me.  I then found these Y shaped pieces (there were pricey at $8.00, +\- a couple cents, each)  I found a pot that would fit in the top of the PVC.  I wanted a little flare at the top.The large pot was all ready on hand to mount the "structure" into.  And, quite by surprise, I found a little fairy kit :-)  Fairy not included but the kit was complete and cheep enough to stay in budget.  I also bought some spray paint to "bring the little pot into a "rhythm" with colors.  Below are the times I purchased.


Almost forgot, I bought some strawberries and a little Begonia.   Time to assemble.  I'm not allowed to use the chop saw, unsupervised. For some reason, my husband believes I will chop my fingers off and I didn't want to cut the PVC with a hand saw, laziness on my part, so my husband cut the 4"x24" pvc into 8" long sections. I then lightly - and lightly is a key word so as not to break the pvc, hammered my pieces together.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of the face of the customer service rep. when he came to assist me in selecting my pipe.  He just knew I had no clue what I was buying and asked if I needed help.  I said no. He asked what plumbing project I was working on and I promptly said, A Strawberry Planter.  Yes...lol.  I wish I had had my camera.  LOL.  I didn't need glue as this won't be under pressure but I did lightly hammer the pieces together to make them good and snug.  An 8" section at the bottom, A Y thing (I apologize.I have no clue what that piece is called), another 8" section, another Y and the last 8" section. Like so .....


And spray paint.  I did this on a windy day.....and you'll see what happened when I walked away.  Luckily it was almost dry...almost.... but I touched it up.

Then we take the planter and insert it in our pot, half filled with dirt and fill in around it to the top  (leave a good 2" from the top of the dirt to the pot rim) and fill the entire "structure" with dirt.  I stuck my hand in the bottom hole and pushed down and then when I got half way up I packed the dirt again and the same with the next side hole and so on until I reached the top.  



 And planted my strawberries in the 2 side sections and half of the back of the large pot.  I have more strawberries coming, so the other half is "dirt in waiting".  I ordered some Pineberries.  They are native to Chili and not modified or a cross mixture.  They are white berries with red seeds and the flavor is a mix of pineapple and strawberries.  Try some. You'll love them.  Anyway, back to the planter.  After getting my strawberries planted, I dabbed a little silicone around the edges of the top - just for safety of the little pot.  And put the pot on top with the little Begonia planted in it.


I dressed it all up with red mulch and made a little fairy village at the bottom.  It's all about the magic and dirt in my world and how I can bring them both together.....grin......





Water with a watering can or a out of a bottle.  If you use a hose the water pressure will be too strong.  And the success for watering in the Y's is much better.  The pot at the top has a hole in the bottom so that water will flow on down as well.

When the strawberries grow I will share an update.  But for now, I like the outcome and have great anticipation of the berries that will be harvested for jam on my toast. If you make one, please share with me. I love seeing others creations!  Thanks for dropping in to see the dirt I've been into.  Enjoy the magic.  It's everywhere ...... if you look!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment